History & Related Items:
- Before arrival of the pioneers, the Larkspur area was occupied by the Ute, Kiowa, Cheyenne, and Arapahoe tribes. What began as a stage stop along the Territorial Road soon became a resort and eventually a town.
- On January 22, 1862, a territorial post office was established at what was called Huntsville, Douglas County, Colorado named after Territorial Governor Alexander Hunt. The post office was discontinued on August 29, 1867 and re-established on April 8, 1869.
- The Town was named by Elizabeth Hunt, wife of Territorial Governor Alexander Hunt, for the abundant purple flowers growing in the area.
- Larkspur, rich in lumber, red sandstone, gypsum, and potash, prospered with the railroad and added two sawmills, a blacksmith shop, a hotel, two general stores, a school, and a casino.
- In 1916 the American Federation of Human Rights, a Co-Masonic Fraternal Order, purchased land in Larkspur and built their administration building which is still in use today.
- In 1965, Plum Creek, which runs along the east side of town, flooded and destroyed much of early day Larkspur including the Carlson Frink Creamery.
- Larkspur was incorporated in 1979.
- The Town of Larkspur is home for the Colorado Renaissance Festival and more recently Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Campground
- The Town of Larkspur is served and protected by the Larkspur Fire Protection District.and Douglas County Sheriff.
The Larkspur Historical Society is dedicated to the identification, collection and preservation of the history and people that lived in southern Douglas County Colorado and the Platte Arkansas Divide. LHS provides educational programs for the general public and area school children. We provide opportunities to visit Historic buildings and sites normally closed to the general public. We support the other Douglas County entities in their Historic efforts through presentations, re-enactments, community projects and celebrations. Visit the Larkspur Historical Society, larkspurhistoricalsociety.com, for more information.